Annual Report 2019
Every successful individual knows that his or her achievement depends on a community of persons working together.
Thank you so much for donating & supporting Tam Kỳ Project (TKP) in the past five (6) years. Your generous donation have helped us to accomplish so many meaningful projects/missions in Viet Nam.
We had raised over $150,000 in 2019 and had done so many projects on a regular basis so we cannot list all projects here. You can follow our FB Page and see the updates on all projects as they happen.
Here are a few highlights of our projects in 2019:
1. Anh Đức, chị Thanhthu Nguyen & her family had donated $16,500 for their mission to Viet Nam in January 2019. They traveled with TKP volunteers to visit a bridge that they had funded in Tra Leng ($7,000) Without this bridge, the kids have to walk for 6 hrs to get to school during the winter. The bridge will keep them safe and cut their trip short for several hours. With the remaining $10,544, TKP volunteers helped to purchase rice, cooking oil, fish sauce and many necessities and distributed alongside with anh chi, to over 1,000 poor people in Tam Ky, Tra Leng, Da Nang, Da Lat & Ninh Thuan.
2. Natalie Ton & her family had donated $3,100 in 2019 including $2,100 to provide food & necessities to 160 people who were affected by the flood disaster and $1,000 to provide free eye surgeries to 25 patients who can’t afford surgeries.
3. Hope For Tomorrow Loc X. Nguyen donated a total of $33,766 in May 2019 to build two (2) Kindergarten schools. The first one was built in the highland of Tra Cang, Nam Tra My. The second one was built in the highland of Tay Tra, Quang Ngai. The old schools were more like sheds and these young kids were suffering either from the brutal heat in the hot months or the extreme cold & wet during raining season. The kids, parents & teachers are so thankful for these new schools.
4. Tongueout Dr Iggy Igette had collaborated with TKP to build a water filtration system and brought clean water to over 1000 kids & their families in the highlands of Tra Nam, Nam Tra My in July 2019. The Project costs $15,000. Thank you Dr Phong Vuong & his dad Diem Vuong who is an engineer and he helped designing this system and brought all the parts from the U.S. and built it in Viet Nam with his team. These families don’t have to struggle bringing home water from the far away creeks and the clean water will also help to keep away many diseases.
UC Irvine students went on a medical mission trip with TongueOut & they raised $2,000 to build a Water Well in Tra Nham, Viet Nam. The new Water Well provides clean drinking water to 304 elementary school students and 200 villagers.
Tongueout also donated another $2,500 to buy presents for 304 kids here.
5. Han-Schneider International Children’s Foundation had donated 20 tons (40,000 lbs) of MannaPack Rice which costs about $40,000. The rice packets come with all the needed vitamins to help kids fighting malnutrition. The rice packets were shipped from Port of Long Beach to Port of Da Nang, VN in June 2019. TKP volunteers drove for 7 hours to deliver the rice to over 2000 kids in the highlands of Nam Tra My, Viet Nam. Thank you to As Ly & Linh Lam for connecting us.
6. Elegant Nails LLC in Santa Fe Place Mall Lac Lam had donated a total of $4,500 to the poor patients at the local hospital in Tam Ky, Quang Nam. TKP volunteers helped to distribute the money and cooked warm meals for over 500 cancer patients.
7. In light of Vietnamese New Year, TKP volunteers visited 10 different provinces around Quang Nam and distributed food (rice, cooking oil, fish sauce and broth mix) to over 300 families who live below poverty line including many have terminal diseases. Total cost ~$4,000.
8. Amy Nitao had donated $6,000 to provide 2500 warm jackets to kids in need in Kontum, Viet Nam. These kids live in the mountain area and barely clothed so the winter is really brutal for them. They are so thankful for these jackets.
Nitao family has also donated an English Mobile Library.
9. Pink Straws Denise Pham had donated $4,700 in 2019 for several projects. They funded $2,000 for the Mid-Autumn festival event to bring the festivities to 420 kids in Binh Sa,Thang Binh, Quang Nam. TKP volunteers brought a team of dragon dance to entertain them and passed out treats, lanterns, balloons, school supplies, backpacks and especially giving twelve (12) brand new bicycles to the students who have special circumstances and facing financial hardship. Pink Straws also donated an English Mobile Library to the school.
$1,700 were donated to the rice distribution delivery cost project to bring food to the kids in the highlands and the remaining $1,000 were used to provide monetary support to 6 cancer patients in October 2019.
10. Kandy Kim and her niece, Violette Truong had donated $7,726 to rebuild a broken bridge in Binh Que, Thang Binh, Viet Nam. The former bridge had major damage and had caused a few fatal accidents. The new bridge has helped with transportation for over 10,000 people at this village. The villagers are so excited and so thankful for this bridge. It has been a long dream for them to have this new bridge. It will not only help to improve the business for the village but more importantly, it will save lives.
11. Tam Ky Project had collaborated with Smile of Compassion Projects Nam CT Nguyen & provided free eyes surgeries to 375 patients in July 2019. We had over 1000 patients came for screening and the doctors were able to do surgeries for only 375 patients who were blind from cataracts and other diseases. Some were only able to see light or darkness and now, they got their vision back. They were so excited and very thankful to have their vision back. Some elders even dropped on their knees and bowed to the volunteers to express their gratitude. TKP raised $5,000 to fund this project.
Thank you to New York Life -Khoa S Nguyen Fullerton Team John Vũ: $2,250 (gift of vision to 56 patients).
Thank you Chị Tinh-trang T Nguyen Albert Nguyen: $1700 (gift of vision to 42 patients).
12. In November 2019, TKP also did a mud run and raised $4,130 and funded eyes surgeries for an additiontal 110 patients from the rural highlands in Quang Nam.
13. TKP has been providing monthly scholarship to orphans or children with special circumstances for $30 a month so they can continue their education. We were able to sponsor 15 orphans in 2019 (Total cost $5,000). Thank you so much to Bi Le Sonny Son Kim Nguyen and their twins daughters (Shelby & Crystal who’ve just graduated as PharmaD) for sponsoring 4 orphans in the last 3 years.
On a regular basis, we visit and cook a hot meal for local orphanages, rehab center for children with disabilities, a senior center, and local hospitals.
We also help many lone cases involving sudden accidents/deaths, sickness, people in trauma center and can’t afford to have surgeries, etc. We help the elderly or disabled people who live alone and have no family to help , orphans/kids with special circumstances, and many more.
Tam Ky Project in California had also done many local projects here in Orange County. We baked and cooked dinner for families who have kids going through cancer treatments, Shoebox project to deliver gifts to over 200 kids around the world and volunteering at local food banks. On Feb 2019, TKP volunteers flew to Paradise to help the fire victims. We raised $7,000 and helped over 300 families in need there with money and food especially for many who were living in their cars. Details of this relief effort can be found on our Facebook page.
On behalf of Tam Ky Project, I would like to thank you all the donors/supporters/friends/volunteers and our Board of Directors/Board of Advisors for your great support! Dr Dung Trinh (Iggy) Elizabeth Ha DuongHa Tien N
Dr Joanna Su Dr Natalie Yvonne Nasser
Dr Phong Vuong John VanZandtBibi OngDanny DinhAmy NitaoJen Thanh Thao VinhJeffrey BurnsThuong N. TranJessie N Shannon Quintana DrPham Đình NgọcDrKrystal Hong Quyen PhamLori NguyenKat LindsaySteve WilburnTheresa Nguyen
Thank you for an awesome year!